Use this step-by-step guide to measure your pupillary distance (PD) by yourself or with the help of a friend.
How to measure your PD online with a credit card
1. Remove your glasses if you are wearing one
Natural light or bright environment also improves accuracy.
2. Put a card with a magnetic stripe on your lips
You can use your credit card or any card with a magnetic stripe to measure PD. Stick the card to your lips as the picture shows.
3. Look straight ahead and take a picture of your face
Adjust your camera, look directly at it, and take a picture. Please make sure that we can see your pupils clearly.
Upload Photo to Measure
Having A Friend Measure Your PD
If a friend is measuring your PD, keep both eyes open and have your friend put the zero on the millimeter ruler over the center of one pupil, then measure the distance to the center of the other pupil.
Have them crouch/sit while you stand so they are out of your field of vision.
Look above his/her head at something approximately 10-20 ft. away.
Keep your eyes as still as possible.
Do not look at the person measuring!
How To Find Your PD Measurement With A Ruler
Put on glasses. Have a felt tip marker handy!
See yourself in the mirror
Mark on your right lens directly over the object
Mark over the object on your left lens.
Measure the distance between the two dots with a millimeter ruler.
Attached with the package is a pd ruler
PUPILLARY DISTANCE (PD) measures the distance between the centers of your pupils. This measurement is used to determine where you look through the lens of your glasses and should be as accurate as possible.
Fold Along The Dotted Line
This is the exact size that your PD ruler should be (don't scale it up or down when you go to print).
Preview printable ruler
- Please make sure you have removed your eyeglasses.
- Put a credit card on your lips. (Or a card that has the same dimensions.)
- The card should be straight up and down against your lips, not tilted.
- Do not cover the edges of the card.
- Look straight ahead when taking the picture.
- Open your eyes so we can see your two pupils clearly.
- Take the photo at arm's length.